Conference was wonderful this weekend and I enjoyed so many of the talks. However, I really needed to hear (or needed my family to hear) President Ballard's talk. I was thoroughly enjoying it, when the digital satellite downstairs cut out. I flew up stairs to the bedroom to back up the TV there and record what had been missed, then rebooted the TV downstairs, all the time trying not to curse (children were watching and it was conference - of course, not to mention that I shouldn't swear anyway), but muttering, or possibly whimpering, about how this was the one talk I really needed us to hear and now we weren't getting to listen to it. My family watched my crazy antics in bemusement. Once it was back on, we all sat down and finished watching the remainder of conference, while no one fully acknowledged my wacky behavior.
Later than evening, I was downstairs in the family room and could hear someone putzing around in the kitchen. To be honest, I assumed that someone was making a mess and I was telling myself to remember that I was trying to be a better person and learn from the speakers at conference, so for once I didn't scream upstairs about how whomever was making the mess had better clean it up. A little later I wandered upstairs to discover that Declan had unloaded the dishwasher, reloaded it, wiped the counters and sinks (after washing a couple of pans), swept the floor and the kitchen was spotless. I was so stunned that I'm not sure I was able to say much in thanks. Fortunately my family is used to my weirdness and he was able to decipher my mumblings. He shrugged and said "No problem. I just wanted to follow what President Ballard said and show my appreciation for you Mom." and then he walked past me and headed up to bed.
I then wandered upstairs in shock, to find Steve had folded some clothes that were in a hamper in our room.
I had prayed that my family would be moved by the words of conference this weekend and they would heed the words of counsel. WooHoo! A big shout out to prayers being answered. Maybe there's something to this whole Pay It Forward thing.
A huge cyber hug to President Ballard. I had a hard time going to sleep that night as I was so giddy with excitement.
Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Just add conference.. for instant results!
Posted by knittinbrit_in_wi at 8:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
First of all let me say this, thank you for FINALLY posting something new. And what a great post it is! Can I rent the DeMillion kids for a few days? Maybe weeks, heck they could just live at my house permanently!! Caleb and Jason could watch the Military Channel all day, Declan could clean, Maddie could play AG's with Allie, and the "future Mr. and Mrs. DeMille" could...ah forget that idea! Never mind!
That is sooo great! I agree Conference was great. I think I need to have my kids watch that talk again:)
Holy Cow! I wish that conference had the same effect on MY family. Elder Ballard's talk will go down in history as the most often quoted talk by moms everywhere.
What a great family you have Kim. While I'm sure elder Ballard's talk influenced them that day, I'm also sure their love for a terrific mother was the motivating factor.
Post a Comment