Wednesday, February 27, 2008

One in a DeMillion



One of my friends sons, Gabe, kept pronouncing our last name as DeMillion. Shortly after that Declan used that the phrase "One in a DeMillion" in a campaign for Treasurer at his Elementary School. It fits our family. We are a unique and interesting bunch.

Let me do a brief intro on the DeMillion clan:

Caleb - "Alex Keaton", you remember the character from Family Ties. He is such a good and responsible child, comfortable with adults and children alike. He has strong political opinions for such a young man, and is constantly seeking knowledge on everything from World War II Aircrafts to How a suspension bridge was built. His principal from elementary school often refers to Caleb as our "future president". He's not the first to suggest such a thing. He does watch a little too much television for my liking, so we have instituted a new tv/piano practice token system that should hopefully help with that, but it's not like he's watching cartoons or silly movies. Caleb (or HubBub as Ethan calls him) loves to watch documentaries and the Science Channel. He is obsessed with Aviation. When I say obsessed, I really mean it. He has stats on 100's of planes memorized. He helps out at our home so much and rarely gives us a moments worry. Although I promise, Charity, there are moments.

Declan - ooohhhh! Declan. Declan is a spit fire. We should have realized that we were getting a child who wanted to do things on his own terms when he tried to pop into the world four months early. He is a bundle of energy who has a very strong opinion on life. Is easily grossed out, yet feels the need to describe most food as looking like "pooh" before eating it. He battles his Celiac Disease with a strength, determination and will power that I could only wish to possess. Declan is the hardest worker I have ever met. Recently he decided that he wanted to earn some more money for something, so instead of hitting Steve or I up for the money, he started his own business. Printed Flyers and was about to distribute them, when his dad put the kabosh on "Declan's Toilet Cleaning Business" due to hygiene reasons, and let me tell you this boy can clean toilets. He even takes a old toothbrush or Q-Tip to clean around the bottom rim on the toilet. He's cleaned toilets this well since he was six. Not to be discouraged (well, actually after a fit or two about not being understood) he started a Deck Cleaning Business. Of which I highly recommend. He loves sports, especially soccer and tackle football. He is an all-star in the cub scouting arena. He earned his Bear Badge in two months and has since earned three arrow points and is determined to earn at least one arrow point each month until he gets to move up to Webelos.

Madison - Maddie May in our more even-tempered child. She loves Art and would happily (and has) spent all day coloring, painting, drawing and playing with Clay. She is friendly with everyone and loves to laugh. She has the funniest laugh, we all think she sounds like a trucker when she laughs her deep belly laugh. She dotes on her father from the moment he walks through the door, clinging to his hand, hugging him, climbing on his lap. (I'll admit after a while I get jealous and demand that he hug me too and she allow me to have a minute with the cute guy). She is both on occasion tom-boy, and loves to drive her bike like a wild woman, and pretty princess the next. She has very strong opinions on what she wears. Unfortunately she is probably one of the most pickiest eaters this house has come across. Dinner time with Maddie can be very stressful.

Ethan - EB is the funniest little character. I am proud to say that he informs me on an almost hourly basis that I "am his best friend EBBER!" What more could a mummy ask for. He loves cars and trucks, and has his father's obsession for Hummers. He loves to go off-road in the hummer with his daddy, but then demands that they go and get it washed immediately afterwards. EB'ers is doted on by everyone in our family and usually can break the ice and make everyone laugh at those particularly tense moments. He loves to say family prayer with someones help and then celebrates afterwards running around (often having been too excited to say Amen) yelling "Daddy helped me say the prayer, Daddy helped me, I'm a prayer".

Steve - Well, Stevie B is rather a private person, so I won't share too much. He's busy most of time running two dental practices, being busy with church assignments, boy scouts, eleven year old scouts, and keeping Kim happy. All of which he does a wonderful job of. Oh yeah! and he's easy on the eyes too.

Kim - Kimbo or "BooBoo" as my family like to call me(remember the bear from Yogi Bear) loves living in Wisconsin. Loves Winter - or all the cool boots, sweaters and coats you get to wear in winter. I have a new obsession with Cross Country Skiing thanks to her christmas gift from S. Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to knit. Literally am obsessed with knitting. By the time EB was two he would say "just one more row mommy?" I hate to sit still, I'm still debating whether it would be considered inappropriate to knit during church meetings. It's not that I'm bored during church (anyone who has been to our F&T meetings would know they're anything but dull), but I find that when my hands are busy I can concentrate more. (side note: I apologize for the poor grammar, please do not hold me to a higher standard of the english language because I'm english) Although we all have our days/moments, I love being the mother of four fun and unique children, they bring me more joy than I had ever imagined. And as for the hottie I'm married to - woo hoo - obviously I lucked out with that one.

I've had a blog for awhile about my knitting exploits that I share with my other knitting friends, but after reading some friends family related blogs felt that a separate blog for family stuff was needed. Having family spread all over the place, Utah to England, this can help us all feel a little closer across the miles.

I'll admit that I'm terrible regular blog-poster so don't expect too much. I'll try to have one of the kids guest blog each week. Of course, I'll retain editing rights so that they don't spill all my secrets.

1 comments:

Sue said...

I'm so excited that you started a family blog! I'll look forward to reading it often. Sue