Thursday, April 2, 2009

Nickelodeon Universe

During Spring Break we had really cruddy weather and there is only so much fun you can have at home before you get a little stir crazy. I had planned to take the kids to Chicago for a few days, but as time drew closer they really wanted to go, but wanted the Cute Guy (who was working) to come too - so we rescheduled Chicago and headed to Minneapolis and the Mall of America for some fun instead.

We had a nice lunch at Rainforest Cafe (where Declan found a new loved Grilled Shrimp - although he had always turned it down when I'd made it before - no more, now he asks for it every day). Then we headed down to Nickelodeon Universe (used to be called Camp Snoopy) to hit the rides for the day. I must stop and say here how being in a mall with hundreds of stores and me not shopping is actually physically painful - literally, but I abstained (well, except for that short time when I ran into one store and did a major manic shopping spree in 15 minutes - my power shopping skills did not fail me).
First ride was the Log Chute, where Madison informed us that she only rides that with her dad. He obviously wasn't with us, so she decided the next person she trusted was Declan (what am I, chopped liver?) so EB and Caleb rode with me. So, much fun! EB has no fear. Caleb got wet while I hid behind EB so he could get my share of the splashes. Yes, I have no shame.

Then we had to quickly get Dec and Hubbub up to ACES for their flight simulator rides that they had booked. This left Mads, Ebs and I with 45 minutes, which is where the power shopping came in and some refreshments for the wee 'uns.




Once they were done the fun really began. I took EB and Little Princess and we hit all of the rides that they could go on. The older boys hit every adrenaline pumping ride they could find. They loved this hammer ride and kept riding it over and over. After a few turns they demanded lots of photos to be taken for proof of their fearlessness.



While waiting for the ghost shooting ride, EB was entranced with the Rock Bottom Rollercoaster ride. It goes straight up and then quickly drops straight down to the ground and then lots of other fun rolls and twists. When the boys caught up with us, Declan and I decided we were going to do this one, while Caleb staying (very willingly) with the youngest two. There were four people sitting in the front row of the ride who were doing a rideathon for charity sponsored by a local radio station. They were on their 240th time riding in a row. Can you say headache??! Declan was really nervous but fought through the nerves and climbed in. I was fine, until just before it starts to go vertical it pauses for a few seconds - I looked at Declan and thought "Maybe if I make him cry we could still get off this ride." Too late. Next thing I knew we were moving. Declan prayed for a speedy death, while I looked over my shoulder and waved to the kids below. Once we started, I surprised myself by screaming, but then I could stop laughing as Declan proceeded to make us all laugh as he was saying over and over "It's okay, it's okay, not a bad way to die, it's okay, it's okay. it's not a bad way to die." Hilarious!! He informed us at the end that the belt restricted him from bending down and kissing his butt goodbye as he was sure we were going to die on the ride.

Caleb, couldn't be outdone by his younger brother, so I rode it with him next. In typical Caleb fashion, he laughed hysterically through the whole ride.

We didn't want to leave until the last possible moment. We did squeeze in a trip to American Girl Place where Madison bought a new outfit for her American Girl Doll and then EB had a trip to the Lego Store and got himself a Lego kit. (the boys had already spent their 'fun cash' at the Flight Simulator.)

The park closed at 9:30pm and EB was asleep within 10 seconds of us climbing in the car (seriously!)

We stopped for a quick bite through the drive thru and headed back to Wisconsin. The kids were tired out and asleep really fast, while I quite happily listed to The Host by Stephanie Meyer on Audiobook. Love that book. I had been trying to read it for a few months and couldn't get past the first couple of chapters. Once I got past that on Audio, I was hooked and finished the book over the next couple of days at home.

It was so much fun to just relax and play with the kids. We went on everything we could. Sometimes it so easy to get caught up in all the busyness of life and not take time to stop and play. I'm grateful for our crappy weather this week so that we could have this special day.

1 comments:

The Scott Family said...

Looks like you all had a fun time! Those massive adrenaline rides scare the heck out of me! I really MUST go to the Mall of America next time I am over! Looks wicked!!
By the way, thanx for your comment on my Tuesday Tell All about old Dell...It made me cry, but a nice cry!!