I wasn't really emotional when Caleb started school, he was so ready to be there, or too sad when the others started as my hands were full with babies at home. However, this year was hard to see them off to school.
This was our busiest summer ever with four kids in activities and camps and vacations, I often felt like I was running ragged and thought occasionally of the quiet days when they would all be in school. I'll admit, I may have longed for those quiet school days. However, as time drew closer it started to hit me... I was going to have a high schooler and my lunch date and Starbucks buddy was going to be in Kindergarten.
As I drove Caleb home from High School orientation on Tuesday, I started to cry. It's all going too fast. Before I know it, he'll be gone. They'll all be gone. Suddenly, I wanted time to stand still, maybe even turn the clock back. Because Caleb is such a kind young man, he comforted me, which to be honest made me feel sadder. I wished he were still little and we were still crawling around on the floor of our apartment (on the lovely green shag carpet). Him having just learned how to crawl and wanting to race around the apartment chasing me or me chasing him. To be able to pick him up in my arms and snuggle him and his cute baby smell. There's not a chance I'd be able to pick up this football playing Freshman any more.
This made it so much harder to see Ethan off on the bus that day. He was so excited and ready and gave a quick wave and was gone. I managed to hold it together until I walked in the house and fell to the carpet and cried like the baby I wish they all were. Luckily I have Winston to lick away all my tears. So then I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned. I had over eight hours until they would be home and I needed to fill every last minute of it.
I need to cherish more of every moment I can with these children, knowing that they'll be grown and gone before I know it. I'll hold them a little tighter. Listen more attentively to them telling me about their days. Soak up every minute I can with them. And hope and pray I've taught them what they REALLY need to know.
I was so emotional that I didn't get pictures of everyone before they left for school (doesn't help that Declan is gone by 6:45 and I drop Caleb off at seminary at 5:55am every morning and don't see him until football practice is over at 6pm - he's gone 12 hours a day - is that supposed to break me in for when he'll be off in college, because all it really does is make me want to vomit)
Madison arriving home from school.
My sweet little boy, Ethan arriving home from his very first day of school. He was tuckered out, but informed us that everything was "AWESOME" at school.
Friday, September 3, 2010
School Days, Sad Days
Posted by knittinbrit_in_wi at 7:14 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment